Thursday, March 1, 2012

Damien Rice - Delicate



Whi~

So of all the things I could have started my return with, why this song?

Well let me tell you good folks. Everyone, and I mean everyone now, needs a revolving cam shot song. I mean everyone. You never know when you'll be in the goddest dammest romantic moment in your life, and when that fancy looking lady/gentleman comes to give you that kiss, you need a revolving cam shot song. Just as everyone needs the "Practice Montage for Revenge against a Friend's Death" song or a drinking song.

This one, is taken. Mine.

Let me take you back to a time when I was in middle school and I dated a girl. Oh it was sweet, it was romantic, and it was the cutest thing in the world. Let's, uh, for safety's sake call this girl Felicity, and let's say that Felicity and I had a song. Sadly, you don't get a choice on the matter of what that song is. Our song was that Aerosmith song from that Bruce Willis action movie with Ban Afflek.

So maybe now whenever I'm at a cheap bar and that song comes on, maybe I cry a little inside, and hate myself for having a shit song, but at least my revolving cam shot song is freaking awesome.

Well, maybe awesome isn't the best words the describe it. Some might find it almost legally offensive. "Why is a man making love in front of a mic?" some redneck might ask. "Is that there man ejaculcrying into my ear?" another would chime in. And I would have to guffaw like heehaw and nod my head back and forth all clumpity good like.

"Why gursh durn, I guess I am a faggot" I would reckon and we rednecks would all go down to the nearest watering holes and clean each other's urethra. Perhaps romance would burst, I dunno, but when that kiss came, you'd be sure to hear this song one more time.

Okay, so voice is a choosy thing. Some people like Damien's voice and some don't. I'm a sucker for cry singing indie hipsters, girl or guy, so I can't complain. But let's say the voice wasn't there. Let's say Mr. Cash came around and he sang it for us. Would it be anyless loved? Is that a loaded question? I'm not entirely sure.

If Mr. Cash sang it, or if Paul Simon did, or if even your Creed or Aerosmith guy sang it, good to bad, bad to worse, whatever, this song would still be a great song. Rising crescendos, lilting melodies, a freaking cello in the background, come on, that's class.

What we have here is a clearly well written ditty, that's been very well produced and orchestrated, with a indie hipster irish busker singer added on top. Is that wrong? No. That is how I like my coffee and revolving cam shot songs, all full of buskery goodness and some shamming. Maybe a Sham wow. I dunno...

LINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment