Thursday, March 1, 2012

Check out "Mia Pharaoh" by Miniature Tigers

So it was only a matter of time until something would catch my fancy from the new indie-o-sphere. Wow, what a horrible term I've just come up with. But if you have no idea what I'm talking about, I am either doing a horrible job communicating, or you have not been hanging out in all the cool little coffee clubs where the heater never works, and that cute barista always adds way too much cinnamon in your mocha. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, let me try to give you a quick history lesson.

 After the great fall of OC and the SoCal music scene that kind of popped it's turtle head into pop culture, indie music went through a couple of different transformation until we've come to the point of using 80s synth sounds combined with well singing to create atmospheric nonsense.

That is the short of it. And now here is Miniature Tiger!




Sadly this offer will only be up for a couple more days until their album comes out so... Make the most of it!

Most of the stuff I've heard in the recent months, have not really piqued my interest so, but I think this is one is something special maybe. The lyrical prose is Who-esque, and you get a story with your ten cent coffee as well as a little picture book. Well, awesome pictures which you can get from their web site.

The atmosphere has been made, and the musicianship here is a conglomerate of sound that sets you in a mood of some kind of easy listening. I'm not sure how much I love it, but it is one of the few things I have felt more love towards in a while, especially from this genre.

If you like XX and the kind of thing they did, and if you like the Who and the stories they told, then this might be right up your alley. It's a weird alley, but a nicer one than the other roads around it.

Thanks to Some Kind of Awesome for the share, and go to the Miniature Tigers site and support something good, God dammit!

And for all of you wonderful folks who use Spotify and want to hear more, here you go!

1 comment:

  1. They're pretty good. I got kind of tired of them quickly. But that's not anything new for my attent

    ReplyDelete