Friday, August 12, 2011

"Put us back together right" by The Headlights


Headlights - Put us back together right

I think it could be because of my brain growing old, but I find an increasing frequency in the number of bands that I like, and then forget, and then find later again. Sometimes the bands I forget about aren't even really worth a second mention, but I'm happy to say this isn't one of those bands.

The Headlights have always been one of those staples in my musical diet that seem to pop in and out with a friendly frequency. If you've never heard their song "Cherry Tulips" from their 2008 album "Some Racing, some stopping" I would strongly give it a listen to.

For a band that has been so prodigious in their 7 years as a band, its funny how little most people have heard about them, but perhaps that comes from their focus that is utterly devoted to their distinct style of music, that, perhaps isn't so distinct.

If you had to create a check list of musical requirements for all the songs I have put on the site so far, this song would hit all the marks with flying colors: the pulsing one-two beat, the jangly guitar that kind of picks repetitively in a lull in the background, the female and male vocals, the piano in the beginning; they all show signs of all the other indie pop that I share on a daily basis.

But who can't use more upbeat songs? The more things to get you through the day, the better right? If you enjoy this song, I highly recommend the album, and possibly the previous album I have mentioned as well, "Some racing, some stopping" although it deals less in tones of atmosphere and ambient sound.

(Warning, do not watch the video at work. Its not like its that weird, but your coworkers might wonder about you.)



Happy Friday everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment