Friday, August 12, 2011

In which I gush about Mando Diao


I’ve been pretty remiss in writing posts. So! I am going to tell you about one of my favorite bands, Mando Diao. They aren’t new or anything, but they’re Swedish and apparently don’t have much of a following in the U.S., so perhaps they will be new to you. They play a 1960s sort of rock and roll with a twist of punk rock, are very good looking (I think that is just a Swedish thing?), and their band’s name came from a dream the lead singer had in which a man came up behind him and shouted “Mando Diao!” (For some reason, I picture this man having a horse’s head and wearing a suit). What more do you need? Okay, maybe you need more.

I would characterize Mando Diao as sounding something like Sweden’s version of the early/mid-2000s garage rock revival scene, which I suppose is in fact what it is. I’m especially fond of the albums Ode to Ochrasy, Bring ‘Em In, and Give Me Fire. My favorites of their tracks combine insanely catchy guitar riffs with a fast tempo and alternately soulful and punky vocals. Without further ado (Is that word ever used in another context? “I’d like to start with some ado…”), here are some of my favorite tracks of Mando Diao.

Mando Diao- "Down in the Past"
First is my absolute favorite, the song I listen to over and over during the summer: “Down in the Past.” If you don’t like this song from the very second it begins playing, I’m not sure we can be friends. I eat that guitar up like candy, I swear. This song features the more soulful of the two lead singers, and it demonstrates just what I love about the vocals; he goes from a smooth, 1950s kind of almost-croon, and slides without hesitation into a great, raw intensity. Also, it is fucking ROCKING. Admit it, your ears are telling your feet to dance right now.

Mando Diao- "High Heels"
Damn, trying to decide which tracks to feature is like pulling teeth. All of it! I want all of it! Okay, how about a little sexiness? Who am I kidding, it’s all sexy, this one’s just turning the sultry up to eleven. “High Heels” has a slow, smokin’ beat, some soulful horns, a little taste of slide guitar, and the singer (believe it’s the punkier of this two, this time) croons like the words are on fire. This is the song you put on to seduce somebody, preferably while smoking a cigarette between blood-red lips and twirling pearls around your finger. If you’re a burlesque dancer and you’re reading this, please please please set a routine to it. And put up videos.

Mando Diao- "Motown Blood"
Alright, here’s one that’s heavy on the garage and the punk. “Motown Blood,” while an absolutely excellent song, isn’t necessarily one of my favs from Mando Diao, but I’m trying to showcase the band’s variety a little bit. This track plays up the Detroit sound, as the title and lyrics acknowledge, and it makes for a really fun, energetic song.

Mando Diao- "Long Before Rock 'n' Roll"
Probably there is a limit to the number of songs I should share, huh? Okay, last one, then. Let’s go with another catchy-as-fuck, fun-as-hell song, “Long Before Rock ‘n’ Roll.” This one gives you a taste of the two vocalists singing together; I really love how their voices complement each other. Also, it includes a round of "La la la"s, which I think I've mentioned I'm a proponent of. This tune makes me want to stomp, and dance, and generally shake my tail feather, or maybe just lean against the brick wall of the cornerstore soda fountain, snapping my fingers to the beat and peering over the tops of my shades. If you took a couple of 70s punk kids and dropped them in the 50s, they’d write this song. That’s my take, anyway. It won't let me embed the video, but look it up if you want to see Mando Diao’s energy, and also, ogle some cute Swedes.

Thanks for putting up with my ado. Basically, Mando Diao is the bomb, more people should listen to them, you should listen to them, and go listen to them. Also rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment